Friday, November 05, 2004


At the rate I'm using my new smoker, I'll permanently smell like a slab of bacon and have a leathery, browned face from standing in its exhaust. Very excited by the semi-success of last week's pork ribs, I cooked up 16 pounds of pork shoulder yesterday, with oustanding results.

This photo shows the pork after I basted it with a vinegar and spice "mop" after 5 hours of cooking. It took a total of 8 hours to finish, and yielded about 9 pounds of pulled pork for my freezer. I was late to work, but the boss was very understanding, especially because I took some of it in for everyone to taste.

I'm encouraged by the good results from this Weber smoker and will be using it often. If I knew how easy it is to operate, I would've bought one years ago. If you see a Japanese born New Yorker in Southern California smoking up some Southern barbecue, it might be me. Next purchase for this good ol' boy: old pickup truck with gun rack, perhaps.


Blogger jeff lowe said...

16 lbs. of pork shoulder and only 8 hours of smoking? Even if each one were only 8lbs. that would normally take at least 16-20 hours? What were your internal temperatures and your grill temperature?

11/05/2004 11:02:00 PM  
Blogger Professor Salt said...

Jeff, the photo shows two of four pieces that weighed in at just under 4 pounds each. I cooked these in the smoker until the internal temperature was 171 degrees. To speed things up (cuz I was running late for work), I double wrapped in foil and roasted them in a 300 oven until the internal temp was 180. During its rest, internal temp rose to 191, and yielded perfectly shred-tender pork.

11/06/2004 09:42:00 PM  
Blogger Steve DoggieDogg said...

When I was a kid, we had a bullet shaped charcoal smoker. It had a pan with the coals at the bottom, another just above it for liquid, and the grill on top. I was famous in the family for my turkeys. I'd fire up the grill and fill the liquid pan with white wine and orange juice. While that was coming up to temperature, I'd cut up apples and onions and stuff the bird. Then I'd pop the bird in the smoker, tossing in a handful or two of water soaked hickory chips. After about 4 hours, I'd open the thing up and put in more coals to keep it going. At the same time, I'd fill the liquid pan with hot water. It took about 8 to 10 hours to do a turkey. The best stuff I've ever eaten! (I would always throw out the onions and apples just to be safe...)

I don't have the bullet smoker any more, and I can't find one. I've faked the same process on a smaller scale with chickens using a Weber with a couple of aluminum tins full of liquid set down into the coals.

See ya

12/13/2004 05:20:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home