Saturday, October 02, 2004

Assaulted Bagel Man

Remember how you'd chase down the ice cream truck when you were a kid? I followed a bagel truck recently, at midnight, into a sleepy strip mall parking lot. The man from Brooklyn Bagel Bakery had just dropped off a sack at a Seattle's Best coffee shop and was locking up after himself when I pulled up in front of his van.

"Hey, uh... so, do you guys have a bakery in Orange County, or do you drive all the way here from LA?" The guy had the afraid-to-speak look of someone stuck on an elevator with a load of Hare Krishnas.

Really good bagels are hard to find anywhere, especially on the West coast. I've found 98% of bagel and pizza shops with an East coast allusion in their name inevitably suck. (Yeah, I'm talking to you, Noah's NY Bagels...) Brooklyn Bagels has a reputation as one of the better ones in LA, and I'd never tried theirs. You can understand my excitement when I spotted their truck in my neighborhood (or maybe you don't, and I am a freak). Interrogating the bagel man is a minor misdemeanor at worst, during which I uncovered another of his retail accounts in my area (Benji's Deli in Tustin).

Long story short - I stopped by that Seattle's Best shop this morning and found they wrapped each of last night's delivery in plastic wrap, a crime far worse than stalking the bagel truck. It's bad enough that the bagels were now over 8 hours old. They completely ruined what's left with Saran wrap. I ran crestfallen straight to Bruegger's Bagels, where I got theirs right out of the oven, still too hot to touch. While not a great bagel by any means, it's acceptably good when fresh.

I will schlep over to LA some day and try Brooklyn's straight from the source. To be continued...
Brooklyn Bagel Bakery
2217 Beverly Boulevard
Los Angeles
213-413-4114

Bruegger's Bagels
All over, nation wide
http://www.brueggers.com/

1 Comments:

Blogger Pat Saperstein said...

Yes, do try to get a Brooklyn Bagel at the source. They're open very late, so it's a good stop after attending an event downtown. I recommend the onion, pumpernickel, salt and poppy and cheddar. Just don't commit a crime against bagelry by having a blueberry or cinnamon!

10/02/2004 01:29:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home