Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Vietnamese Costco

T & K Food Warehouse stocks every Viet - Chinese food item imaginable inside a ginormous blimp hangar of a building. I ran into many items I've never seen before, and took home a few. I love being baffled by foods I'm completely ignorant of. As with Costco, many items are packed in bulk quantities.

I found the elusive Szechuan peppercorn (labeled as Chinese prickly ash), which has been hard to find since the US Department of Agriculture confiscated much of the wholesale supply several years ago. The medicinal tingle of the numbing spice is legal again in the US, but still hard to find.


$7.99 for a big bag that could numb all the mouths in Sichuan province.


Corn tea. I give it a thumbs-up, too.

Made of toasted corn silk and other medicinal herbs, it tastes toasty and mildy sweet. Who knew? I also took home artichoke tea, and it's good in an herb tea way. Slightly bitter and alkaline, it's one of those "cooling" foods that I should eat to balance my body with, says my ayurvedic counselor.
Both teas available from
www.hungphatteacoffee.com


Dafuck is this? Anyone? Beuller?




Both Maine and local lobster are available, at least until they sell this one.



T & K Food Warehouse
9681 Bolsa Ave
Westminster, CA
714-775-6678

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

that looked like guava. not sure tho, just a guess

spAce

3/13/2005 03:08:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it is not a guava. my parents have it in their backyard. it is a chinese pomelo. inside it's pale green, like a lime, and it tastes like grapefruit, only not so bitter.

3/23/2005 04:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home